Monday, December 10, 2007

Am I asking for too much here?

There is a guy. Guy has been sort of hounding me to go out with him. Which would normally be OK except I kinda don't want to, been putting it off for a bit now. However, my lovely friend Deanna said in a recent blog that sometimes you should go out with anyone who asks because you never know who you will hit it off with. So, I agree to go, in his words, "hang out". (Plus, every girl needs those dating horror stories to share with girlfriends and future daughters, maybe he would be mine?)

So, he says "What are you opposed to doing?" and it threw me. I know "waht do you want to do?" but I don't know "what are you opposed to doing?" SO I give you the following is an excerpt from our IM conversation (yes, I saved it so I could post it here, publicly for all the world to see. )

"Melissa: opposed?
executivemusicgroup: yes as in what do you not wanna do
Melissa: um, OK...no movies, no sex and no making out...no at your place or mine...
executivemusicgroup: wow
executivemusicgroup: ok
Melissa: why wow? none of those are first meeting events in my world. movies are on the list because who wants to sit in a dark theater for 2 hours and not be able to talk?
executivemusicgroup: ok
executivemusicgroup: i seee
Melissa: hope that isn't a problem
executivemusicgroup: no i agree with all but one
executivemusicgroup: but it is all good

Melissa: hmmm...which one do you not agree with? Just curious
executivemusicgroup: making out
Melissa: well, let me clarify that making out thing...
Melissa: i'd probably be ok with a kiss on the cheek greeting and the standard and proper kiss goodnight. What i'm not down with is lots of it. i mean, i'm all about a good makeout session, just not the first few times out of the gate.
executivemusicgroup: ok
executivemusicgroup: i see
executivemusicgroup: understand
executivemusicgroup: i will respect that
Melissa: cool.
executivemusicgroup: i like making out
executivemusicgroup: and dont see a problem with it
executivemusicgroup: but
executivemusicgroup: i do respect others peoples wishes


So my issue is this: Am I asking too much that guys DON'T expect some junior-high makeout session on the VERY FIRST DATE?? Am I asking too much that guys don't seem so suprised at my standards? I don't think so either. I also don't think I'm gonna go out with him now. Besides, it's supposed to be "Focus On Me" time right now. Plus, I turn another year older this week and that's depressing enough. I don't need some guy trying to go all 8th grade frenching in my mouth.

3 comments:

Just Jinny said...

I don't think youre asking too much. It is strange how he asked like that though.

I think most GENTLEMEN wouldnt even consider heavy kissing on the first date (possible even the first couple). That is way too personal in a stage of the relationship that is purely 'getting to know you on a non-sexual level'.

You ain't no booty call!

VivJ

Just Jinny said...

I just wanted you to know that in telling Puddin' about your IM conversation he said (before I even told him what I said) that a REAL MAN would never expect that on a first date.

There you go, straight from a 'real mans' mouth.

Unknown said...

Yeah, that's oogy to me too. Talk about hoisting a yellow flag before you even start.